Why Should I use an RICS Surveyor?

Thumbnail for Why Should I use an RICS Surveyor?

Choosing an RICS Surveyor

There can be various challenges when it comes to alterations to or near Party Walls. If you’re in the process of renovating your North London home or considering doing so, you may be wondering if you need to hire a Chartered Party Wall Surveyor? The answer is most likely to be ‘yes’. Hiring a North London Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) is an excellent way to ensure you have expert, proactive, practical support to ensure a smooth resolution to any potential disagreements or disputes involving shared boundaries.

Who are the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)?

The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) is the recognised regulatory and governing body that sets standards and regulates the surveying profession in the UK.

The RICS promotes industry-leading standards and enforces professionally recognised, consistent qualifications for all surveyors. So, if you need to serve or have received a Party Wall Notice for your North London Property, look for an RICS accredited surveyor.

Why is RICS Accreditation Important?

Employing an RICS surveyor in North London or beyond ensures that your Party Wall matters are in the best hands. RICS membership means surveyors are fully qualified and conversant with current practices and regulations; you will receive appropriate and professional advice when mediating any disputes arising from The Party Wall Act. 1996. The Party Wall Act is a legally binding agreement which provides a framework for protecting property and resolving disputes between you and your neighbour(s) concerning works near or to shared boundaries. Therefore, your chosen surveyor must be able to provide advice on current legislation, be insured, and protect you from further litigation or financial penalties.

What Does an RICS Surveyor Do?

A Chartered Party Wall surveyor acts as a mediator in the first instance or an arbitrator where disputes arise between two property owners on either side of the Party Wall.

Imagine that you, as the building owner, want to undertake work on your property close to or on your shared boundary (the Party Wall). Firstly, you must inform the affected neighbours and provide them with a Party Wall Notice and a written Party Wall Agreement because legally, both parties must agree to any alterations made to a Party Wall. The RICS Surveyor acts as the neutral third party, resolving any disputes between neighbour(s) under the Act with a Party Wall Agreement, also known as a Party Wall Award, which specifies the proposed works and who is responsible if damage occurs.

Let’s Talk About Your Party Wall Matters

So, if you are considering performing works on your property in the North London area that could affect or are close to your shared boundary (the Party Wall), speak to an accredited RICS Surveyor.

Hudson Party Wall Surveyors are fully RICS accredited and located in Barnet and are experts in all things relating to Party Walls. They will provide you with the Party Wall expert advice in North London and help ensure your planned works run smoothly by identifying potential issues early and mediating with your neighbour(s).

Share this post:
Avatar for Katie Trim
Katie just left us a 5 star review